Nikon Z 50mm f1.2

Shop Newly Arrived Items at KEH today!
Ken
Site Admin

Nikon Z 50mm f1.2

After recently purchasing this lens I'm curious what others think. I've had the Nikkor 55mm f1.2 for many years and it seems easier to use. It's lighter, smaller, and while not perfect at f1.2 it's pretty close. I did a maternity shoot with the 50mm f1.2S for the Z system and I kept accidentally changing the aperture because my hand would bump the small ring on the lens.

Some info on the new lens:

Photography enthusiasts and professionals alike are always on the lookout for that perfect lens to elevate their craft. Nikon, a renowned name in the world of camera equipment, has consistently delivered high-quality lenses, and the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S is no exception. In this article, we will explore the specifications and capabilities of this exceptional camera lens, designed to meet the demands of both portrait and low-light photographers.

Key Features

Focal Length and Aperture: The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S is a prime lens with a fixed focal length of 50mm. What sets it apart is its impressive maximum aperture of f/1.2. This wide aperture allows for superb low-light performance, beautiful background blur (bokeh), and stunning subject isolation.

Superior Optics: Nikon has equipped this lens with cutting-edge optical technology, including multiple aspherical elements and Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass. These elements work in harmony to reduce aberrations, chromatic aberration, and distortion, resulting in impeccable image quality.

Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat: The lens features Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat, which effectively minimizes ghosting and flare, even in challenging lighting conditions. This coating ensures that your images remain clear and sharp, even when shooting directly into light sources.

Stepping Motor (STM): The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S incorporates a quiet and precise STM for autofocusing. This makes it an excellent choice for both photographers and videographers who require swift, accurate, and near-silent focusing capabilities.

Custom Control Ring: Nikon has designed this lens with a customizable control ring, allowing users to adjust various settings such as aperture, exposure compensation, or ISO sensitivity without taking their eye away from the viewfinder. This intuitive feature enhances the overall shooting experience.

Robust Build Quality: Built with professional use in mind, the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S boasts a robust weather-sealed construction. It can withstand dust, moisture, and challenging shooting environments, making it an ideal companion for outdoor photography.

Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: This lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that ensures precise and consistent aperture control during continuous shooting, providing greater exposure accuracy.

Beautiful Bokeh: With its ultra-wide f/1.2 aperture, this lens excels at producing creamy and dreamy bokeh that adds a touch of magic to your portraits. The 9-blade rounded diaphragm creates smooth, circular bokeh highlights.

Versatile Usage: The 50mm focal length is considered "normal" on full-frame cameras, making it incredibly versatile for various photography genres, including portraits, street photography, and low-light shooting.

Z-Mount Compatibility: The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S is designed exclusively for the Nikon Z-series mirrorless cameras, ensuring optimal performance and compatibility.

Performance

The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S lens delivers outstanding optical performance, making it a go-to choice for professional photographers. Its wide aperture allows for remarkable low-light shooting capabilities, making it an excellent choice for events, weddings, and indoor photography. The sharpness, clarity, and color rendition are exceptional, making it suitable for capturing the finest details and subtle nuances in your subjects.

The lens's ability to create stunning background blur helps isolate subjects effectively, making it an excellent option for portrait photography. Whether you're shooting wide open at f/1.2 or stopping down for a bit more depth, this lens consistently delivers excellent results.

Conclusion

The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S is a testament to Nikon's commitment to excellence in lens design and manufacturing. With its remarkable optical qualities, wide aperture, and durable construction, it's a lens that can elevate your photography to new heights. Whether you're a professional looking for the perfect portrait lens or an enthusiast wanting to explore the world of creative photography, the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2S is a superb choice that will not disappoint. It represents a remarkable fusion of cutting-edge technology and artistic potential, offering photographers the tools they need to capture extraordinary images.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Nikon Z 50mm f1.2

Update: I ended up selling the Nikon Z 50mm f1.2, and have been shooting with the old Noct 58mm f1.2. I wouldn't recommend this option for most, especially if you need autofocus, but I love the smaller size and having a lens that will grow in value over time.