Nikon Z 180-600mm vs 200-500mm & Tamron 150-600mm G2

Shop Newly Arrived Items at KEH today!
Ken
Site Admin

Nikon Z 180-600mm vs 200-500mm & Tamron 150-600mm G2

The new Nikon Z 180-600mm is currently available for preorder on B&H for $1696.95. I'm temped to purchase it and compare to my Tamron G2.

This is a lens I've been waiting for ever since the Nikon Z came out. I currently have the Tamron 150-600mm G2, which has been excellent for wildlife photography. This new lens is making me wonder if I should sell the Tamron and upgrade to the Native Z lens. I'm not sure of the actual release date. The Nikon looses 30mm on the wide end, but I'm always at 600mm anyway. If I do purchase the Nikon Z 180-600mm I'll probably hang onto the Tamron for a bit to do a lens comparison. I'm curious what others think about this new lens. Also, I'd love to see a comparison between the Nikon 200-500mm. I've had the Nikon 200-500mm in the past but sold it because of the very poor tripod ring. So much of my shooting is done on a tripod with the tripod ring unlocked, and the 200-500mm ring didn't rotate smoothly at all. It felt like a toy. The Tamron is much better in that regard and gives an extra 100mm of reach. Hopefully this newer Nikon Z lens doesn't suffer from a poorly made tripod ring. My forum is brand new so there's not a lot of content yet. I'd love ideas and opinions on this new lens from Nikon.

Some specs on the new Nikon Z 180-600mm lens:

Full-Frame | f/5.6-6.3 to f/32-36
Weight: 1995 grams : 4.4 pounds
Internal Zoom : Major benefit for me!
VR
12.5 inches long.
25 elements in 17 groups
6 ED elements
Fluorine coating
Stepping motor
Focus limiter switch: Two positions: FULL (∞ to 1.3 m) and ∞ to 6 m
Filter size: 95mm
Mike P.

Re: Nikon Z 180-600mm vs 200-500mm & Tamron 150-600mm G2

I'm surprised a lens in this category doesn't extend when zooming. That's a game changer for wildlife lenses at this price point. You can leave the lens at 600mm without worrying about banging it on something and knocking it out of alignment. Not to mention pumper zooms suck in dust. I'll be on the waiting list for this one.
John

Nikon, a renowned name in the world of photography, has always been at the forefront of innovation when it comes to camera lenses. In a world where capturing distant subjects with clarity and precision is paramount, Nikon's potential release of a 180-600mm camera lens promises to be an exciting addition for both amateur and professional photographers.

Zoom Range and Versatility:
The most significant selling point of the Nikon 180-600mm lens is its impressive zoom range. Covering a focal length range from 180mm to 600mm, this lens offers incredible versatility for photographers who need to capture distant subjects, whether in wildlife, sports, or even astrophotography. This wide zoom range allows photographers to frame their shots with precision and adapt quickly to changing shooting conditions.

Optical Quality:
Nikon lenses are known for their exceptional optical quality, and the 180-600mm is expected to uphold this reputation. With advanced optical elements and coatings, this lens would likely provide sharp, high-contrast images with minimal distortion and chromatic aberration throughout its focal range. Nikon's commitment to image quality ensures that photographers can capture stunning, true-to-life images, even at the extreme telephoto end.

Image Stabilization:
To counteract the challenges of handholding such a long telephoto lens, it's probable that Nikon would incorporate effective image stabilization technology into the 180-600mm lens. This feature would help photographers capture steady shots, especially at longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds, without the need for a tripod.

Build and Design:
Nikon lenses are known for their robust build quality, and the 180-600mm lens would be no exception. It would likely feature a weather-sealed design to protect against dust and moisture, making it suitable for outdoor shooting in various conditions. Additionally, ergonomic controls and a comfortable grip would make it easy to handle and control.

Compatibility:
Compatibility with Nikon's range of DSLR and mirrorless cameras would be a priority, ensuring that photographers can seamlessly integrate the lens into their existing gear.

Conclusion:
While the Nikon 180-600mm camera lens may not have been available as of my last knowledge update, it represents a promising addition to Nikon's lineup if it were to become a reality. Its versatile zoom range, exceptional optical quality, image stabilization, and robust build would likely make it a sought-after tool for photographers looking to capture distant subjects with precision and clarity. Be sure to check Nikon's official website or consult recent photography news sources for the most up-to-date information on this lens or any other new releases.
Aron

How about the Nikon Z 400mm?